Solar Plexus Chakra: Manipura
The solar plexus, also known as the Manipura chakra, is the third chakra in the body and is located in the area between the navel and the rib cage. This chakra is associated with the color yellow and is related to personal power, self-esteem, and willpower.
The solar plexus is a nerve network located in the abdomen, behind the stomach, and in front of the aorta and spine. In esoteric traditions, the solar plexus is considered to be the center of personal power, will, and self-control. It is also believed to be the seat of emotions, particularly those related to self-esteem, confidence, and personal identity.
The solar plexus is associated with the element of fire and the color yellow. In some esoteric traditions, it is believed to be the center of the third chakra, or Manipura, which governs personal power and energy. The solar plexus is also said to be connected to the digestive system, as well as the liver, pancreas, and adrenal glands.
From an esoteric perspective, the solar plexus is considered to be an important center for spiritual development, as it is associated with the transformation of lower emotions, such as fear and anger, into higher emotions, such as courage and compassion. By balancing and activating the solar plexus, individuals can cultivate greater self-awareness, self-confidence, and spiritual growth.
Confidence in your personal abilities, willpower, and the self-discipline to carry out action comes from this chakra. How you view yourself is influenced by this chakra as well as your willingness to be true to who you are. Conscious decision making and taking responsibility for the choices you make are also tied to the solar plexus. Everyone has their own set of personal gifts and what makes them unique, with a healthy solar plexus you can embark on honing into your power and undergo personal growth that helps you to blossom.
Your solar plexus helps you to make decisions, feel self-confident, and tap into your personal power. When disappointment comes, the solar plexus helps you to create a new action plan and move forward without getting stuck in the past.
Origin and Significance of the Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is said to have originated in ancient India, where it was first described in the Vedas, the oldest scriptures of Hinduism. According to the teachings of yoga, the chakras are energy centers in the body that are connected to various aspects of human experience, such as emotions, thoughts, and physical sensations. The solar plexus chakra is said to be the center of personal power, self-esteem, and willpower. It is associated with the element of fire and is related to the digestive system, adrenal glands, and pancreas.
How To Know if the Solar Plexus is Out of Balance
When the solar plexus is out of balance, you may struggle with being able to feel secure in your authenticity and have issues with embracing your personality. Problems with confidence and self-worth arise when this chakra has an imbalance.
You may have challenges with decision making, self-control, follow-through, and an optimistic outlook on life.
On a physical level, a blocked or unbalanced solar plexus can result in ulcers, poor digestion, upset stomach, respiratory issues, difficulties with gaining or losing weight, arthritis, hypoglycemia, fibromyalgia and other ailments.
You may either feel overly confident or lacking confidence. Some tend to be wishy-washy and hesitant to make a stand while others are impulsive. The ability to make sound decisions is not present because the confidence and wisdom are tainted with their fear and confusion.
When the solar plexus chakra is out of balance, it can manifest in several ways. Some of the symptoms of an imbalanced solar plexus chakra include low self-esteem, lack of confidence, poor decision-making skills, difficulty setting boundaries, and feeling powerless or victimized. Physical symptoms may include digestive issues, poor metabolism, and adrenal fatigue.
Underactive Solar Plexus
If underactive, symptoms that emerge include an overall feeling of unworthiness, neediness, timidness, low self-esteem, and hesitancy to make a stand on a decision. A good sign of an issue with this chakra is victimhood.
Lack of confidence, anxiety, and depression are common symptoms of an underactive solar plexus. If you can’t trust your inner power, you may find yourself seeking out others to carry you, resulting in codependent relationships that don’t serve you.
Overactive Solar Plexus
Conversely, the solar plexus may be overactive when your power extends from your life to others. An excessively energized third chakra may be easily irritated, leaning more towards greed and the desire to control. A lack of empathy and compassion and competition are other signs of an overactive solar plexus.
Overconfidence can turn into arrogance, which is rooted in the lack of belief in yourself and projected as a mask or defensiveness. On the physical level, this kind of imbalance in your solar plexus may result in digestive issues and problems with your kidneys, liver, pancreas, and appendix.
Cultivate A Healthy Sense Of Personal Power
The solar plexus chakra is associated with personal power, self-esteem, and confidence. The following are some moral dilemmas that may affect the solar plexus chakra and require personal reflection and decision-making:
- Standing up for what is right or going along with the crowd to fit in.
- Following one’s own dreams and passions or conforming to societal expectations and family pressures.
- Honesty or protecting someone’s feelings by not telling the truth.
- Speaking up and being assertive or avoiding conflict and staying silent.
- Taking risks and being adventurous or playing it safe and sticking to the familiar.
- Asserting oneself and setting boundaries or avoiding confrontation and allowing others to take advantage.
- Choosing personal goals and aspirations or prioritizing the needs of others and sacrificing one’s own desires.
Working through these dilemmas can help individuals to cultivate a healthy sense of personal power, self-esteem, and confidence, and balance their solar plexus chakra. It’s important to remember that there is no one “right” answer, and individuals must make decisions based on their own values and priorities.
Balancing The Solar Plexus
When any of your chakras are out of balance, you may experience all symptoms from both the underactive and overactive side.
There are several ways to balance the solar plexus chakra, including:
- Meditation: Meditation can help to calm the mind and bring focus to the solar plexus chakra. Focus on the color yellow and repeat positive affirmations such as “I am confident and powerful.”
- Yoga: Certain yoga poses, such as the Warrior Pose, can help to activate the solar plexus chakra.
- Breathwork: Breathing exercises, such as Kapalabhati Pranayama, can help to stimulate the solar plexus chakra.
- Aromatherapy: Essential oils such as lemon, grapefruit, and bergamot can help to balance the solar plexus chakra.
- Diet: Foods that are high in fiber, such as whole grains and vegetables, can help to support digestive health and balance the solar plexus chakra.
Crystals and Stones for the Solar Plexus Chakra
There are several crystals and stones that are associated with the solar plexus chakra that can offer healing and balancing, including:
- Citrine: Citrine is a powerful crystal that is associated with abundance, joy, and confidence. It can help to balance the solar plexus chakra and promote feelings of empowerment.
- Tiger’s Eye: Tiger’s Eye is a grounding stone that can help to increase confidence and self-esteem. It is also said to promote courage and willpower.
- Yellow Jasper: Yellow Jasper is a nurturing stone that can help to balance the solar plexus chakra and promote feelings of inner strength and empowerment.
Fruits and Vegetables for the Solar Plexus Chakra
There are several fruits and vegetables that are associated with the solar plexus chakra, including:
- Lemons: Lemons are high in vitamin C and are said to be cleansing and purifying. They can help to balance the solar plexus chakra and promote digestive health.
- Bananas: Bananas are high in fiber and can help to support digestive health. They are also said to be grounding and can promote feelings of stability and security.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is a tropical fruit that is said to be energizing and uplifting. It can help to balance the solar plexus chakra and promote feelings of joy and positivity.
- Sit in a comfortable position and visualize a golden orb of light shining like a Sun within your solar plexus center. Imagine the light and radiance of this center warming your body and surroundings.
- Meditation with crystals also helps in energizing your chakra. Practice it daily to assist in aligning the sacral chakra.
Here are some meditations that can help you balance and strengthen your solar plexus chakra:
- Visualization Meditation: Sit in a comfortable position with your eyes closed. Take a few deep breaths and focus your attention on your solar plexus area. Visualize a bright yellow light in this area, growing brighter with each inhale and spreading throughout your body. Imagine this light filling you with confidence, courage, and a sense of personal power.
- Affirmation Meditation: Sit in a comfortable position with your eyes closed. Take a few deep breaths and focus your attention on your solar plexus area. Repeat affirmations to yourself, such as “I am confident,” “I trust myself,” or “I am worthy of love and respect.” Say each affirmation slowly and with conviction, allowing yourself to truly believe the words you are saying.
- Breathwork Meditation: Sit in a comfortable position with your eyes closed. Take a few deep breaths and focus your attention on your solar plexus area. Inhale deeply, filling your belly with air, and exhale slowly, feeling the tension release from your body. As you breathe, imagine the energy flowing into and out of your solar plexus, bringing balance and harmony to this chakra.
- Sound Meditation: Sit in a comfortable position with your eyes closed. Take a few deep breaths and focus your attention on your solar plexus area. Use a singing bowl, a gong, or another instrument to create sound vibrations that resonate with the solar plexus chakra. Allow the sound to penetrate your body and help you release any tension or blockages in this area.
Remember to take your time and be patient with yourself as you practice these meditations. With consistent effort and practice, you can develop a strong and balanced solar plexus chakra, allowing you to feel confident, empowered, and in control of your life.
Here are some affirmations to strengthen the solar plexus chakra:
- I am worthy of love and respect.
- I trust myself to make the best decisions for me.
- I am confident in myself and my abilities.
- I am in control of my life and my actions.
- I am capable of achieving my goals and dreams.
- I release all self-doubt and embrace my personal power.
- I am worthy of success and abundance.
- I honor and respect my boundaries.
- I am strong and capable of overcoming any obstacle.
- I radiate confidence, courage, and self-esteem.
Repeat these affirmations to yourself regularly, especially during meditation or times when you need an extra boost of confidence or personal power. With consistent practice, these affirmations can help strengthen your solar plexus chakra and enhance your overall well-being.
- Healing your solar plexus chakra requires some self-love and compassion.
- Energize your solar plexus by making a list of things you are good at. Everyone has abilities and talents, and so do you!
- Fill yourself up with some light humor and laugh! Yes, even if it’s those adorable cat videos online… Sometimes laughter really is the best medicine. 🙂
- Drink herbal teas such as peppermint, chamomile, ginger, or dandelion tea.
- Tone the mantra RAM to bring balance to the solar plexus chakra.
- Break tasks down into small steps and commit to taking action one step at a time.
- Start paying attention and listen to your intuition. This is one of those things that you have to develop, and the more you follow your inner guidance and wisdom, the more open and clear the solar plexus will be.
- Find ways to combat indecisiveness and stick to your initial instinct. Be kind to yourself if something doesn’t work out for you. That’s part of the journey.
- Make peace with the spontaneousness of life.
- Practice positive affirming self-talk. It is important to practice making mental shifts that support your abilities and personal power.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
Symbol and Symbolism
The solar plexus symbols are the circle, an upside-down triangle, and is surrounded by 10 petals. Just like with the sacral chakra, the petals represent emotional aspects for one to overcome. Foolishness, delusion, fear, shame, jealousy, ignorance, personal ambition, betrayal, disgust, and sadness.
Intuition in the gut, personal power, self-confidence, identity, wisdom, action, and discipline are all symbolism of what the solar plexus helps to maintain.